JOB : Director of Teaching & Learning at PIH/UGHE, Kigali, Rwanda
More in Job Vacancies
Job Title : Director of Teaching & Learning
Reports to : Academic Director
Group/Department : University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location : Kigali and Butaro, Rwanda
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program : the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system. UGHE is committed to an exceptional educational experience rooted in dynamic and engaging courses prioritizing a high degree of faculty mentorship and experience-based learning.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Director of Teaching & Learning will serve as a key strategic thought partner and in-house pedagogy expert in the development of all academic programs at UGHE. The Director will work with the Academic Director to develop all aspects of teaching and learning at UGHE, drawing from his/her foundational expertise in developing curricula that embody creative and effective pedagogy. The Director of Teaching & Learning will collaborate with transnational teams of faculty and administrators to create robust and rigorous health science academic programs, and to develop instructors who are keenly equipped to carry out instruction in responsive, dynamic, and pedagogically-innovative ways. The Director of Teaching & Learning will be responsible for mentoring and managing a team of Teaching and Learning Officers with master’s level health science content expertise.
• Work with the Executive Director, Academic Director, and others to strategically develop the academic programs at UGHE
• Serve as the key point-person for all pedagogy at UGHE, ensuring cutting-edge and evidence-based approaches are used in the development and implementation of courses
• Direct the Teaching and Learning team utilizing real-time strategic advice on staffing and work-planning with input from the Academic Director and MGHD Faculty Director
• Recruit and train Teaching and Learning team members
• With the above mentioned team, design an academically rich classroom-based experience with attention to content and creative pedagogy, ensuring strong continuity through the learning objectives
• Development and implement curriculum assessments
• Design online content to augment and/or to replace face-to-face instruction
• Develop and deliver instructor training focused on content mastery and pedagogy
• Collaborate with instructors and the Teaching and Learning team to enhance courses through innovative pedagogical design
Online and Blended Learning
• Provide thought leadership and strategic direction while overseeing the Education Technology Officer (ETO) as s/he develops online and blended learning experiences and management systems to support online platforms
• Master’s degree (minimum) or PhD/EdD (preferred) in an educational-related field
• A minimum of 7 years of experience in higher education leadership roles focused on teaching and learning initiatives with a strong foundation in pedagogy, instructional design, academic technology, and online learning
• Experience building and executing online and blended learning academic experiences for higher education and executive education audiences
• Experience developing health science and/or global health education and training in international and higher education settings
• Experience teaching, developing curricula for, and implementing programs for students and adult learners
• Record of success in instructor development and pedagogical improvement
• Experience applying research to curricular innovations and instructor development
• Knowledge of best practices in teaching and learning and emerging technologies
• Experience in the development and administration of online courses utilizing learning management systems
• Exemplary interpersonal skills ; ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse staff across departments and country
• Experience working in Rwanda or in other relevant contexts
• Proficiency in French or Kinyarwanda preferred
• Availability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays and to travel outside of Kigali, Rwanda
• Interest in social justice strongly desirable
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please CLICK HERE
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.