JOB : Faculty Director, Masters of Global Health Delivery at PIH/UGHE, Kigali, Rwanda
More in Job Vacancies
Job Title : Faculty Director, Masters of Global Health Delivery
Reports to : Academic Director
Group/Department : University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location : Kigali, Rwanda
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program : the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima —PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Masters in Global Health Delivery is a part-time, blended learning program for working health professionals from diverse health backgrounds. Adapted from a partner program at Harvard Medical School, the MGHD combines interdisciplinary training in public health, management, leadership, health policy, social medicine, and One Health. Faculty members are leaders and expert implementers from Rwanda’s health sector as well as PIH and UGHE’s global academic partners. The MGHD incorporates active learning approaches through education technology, innovative field-based opportunities, and case-based teaching. To facilitate inter-professional education, the MGHD targets physicians, nurses, allied health professionals, veterinarians, and program managers. All students complete an evidence-based practicum project relevant to their work.
UGHE’s distinctive approach will produce graduates who can leverage clinical and global health knowledge with a nuanced understanding of the social forces that impact health, the ability to marshal political will, and the capacity to manage dynamic programs and institutions.
UGHE seeks a Faculty Director to lead the MGHD program. The MGHD Faculty Director will oversee all aspects of the program and critical important leadership as UGHE builds its other health science academic programs around the MGHD. As a new university committed to providing an unmatched academic experience rooted in glo bal health delivery and equity, UGHE seeks a visionary leader with vast implementation expertise, experience teaching and developing academic health science training programs for master’s students, an d a robust research portfolio. Through a unique combination of curricular content and innovative pedagogy, UGHE seeks a leader with a similar creative approach coupled with the energy, determination, and dedication to realize such a vision.
Program Management (30%)
Strategically direct and continuously improve all aspects of UGHE’s flagship program, the MGHD, in partnership with UGHE’s senior leadership and academic teams
• Develop curriculum
• Recruit students and cultivate scholarships â€¯
• Lead co-curricular initiatives before, during, and after the MGHD to enhance the curricular experience : â€¯professional development, job placement, alumni relations, and academic preparation
• Mentor and develop MGHD faculty, staff, and students
• Supervise and mentor the Assistant Director of the MGHD
• Cultivate a strong body of teaching faculty
Support the design of, direct, and teach two MGHD courses each academic year : Principles of Global Health and Practicum
• Principles of Global Health comprehensively and creatively explores historical, political, scientific, and practical approaches to existing and emerging global health problems, including those affecting animals and the environment. Students assess concepts through a biosocial lens, incorporating cultural, societal, economic, environmental determinants of global health, and health disparities. They investigate ethical issues involving global health practice, research, and governance.
• The Practicum provides a mentored space for the design and execution of a practicum project, which is implemented at one’s worksite. Through this process, students utilize principles of evidence-based management to translate research into practice and to improve health care delivery and systems. They demonstrate leadership in promoting organizational development, training and mentoring colleagues in global health delivery practices, addressing complex operational challenges effectively and efficiently, and engaging in practices that foster lifelong learning and personal and professional development.
Undertake research leading to peer-reviewed publications focused on global health delivery in Rwanda and beyond
• Demonstrated expertise in health care delivery
• Experience teaching and developing academic health science training for Master’s students
• Passion for and experience mentoring students, faculty, and staff
• Commitment to equity-centered education
• Strong record of peer-reviewed publications focused on implementation science
• Exemplary interpersonal skills ; ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse staff across departments and countr
• Interest in social justice strongly desirable
• Excitement for working in a dynamic, fast-paced, start-up educational environment
• Ability to work evenings and weekends when the executive-style courses are held
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please CLICK HERE
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.